[SystemSafety] Medical devices (UK / EU)

Olwen Morgan olwen at phaedsys.com
Mon Nov 26 11:53:06 CET 2018

Just to offer another perspective on this, I honestly believe that there
should be greater regulation of cosmetic implants.

As is well known to many on this list, I did not start life as a woman.
When I had my GRS surgery, my surgeon asked me if I wanted breast
implants. I didn't and have never regretted that decision. If you want
silicone-assisted boobs, it is cheaper and safer to put the silicone
fillers in your bra rather than in your breasts. I think of it as
applying Ockham's Razor to personal medical decisions.

We encourage preventive safety measures elsewhere, so why not reduce the
scale of risks associated with medical devices by using them only where
they are clinically necessary? I'd support regulations that said if you
want implant surgery that is not clinically necessary, then you should
compulsorily insure against the costs of having to sort things out when
problems arise. Of course, in order to calculate economically efficient
insurance premiums, you'd need an implant register that was open, on an
anonymised basis, to insurance company actuaries. For that to work,
though, the register would need to contain complete patient histories
related to implants, which may worry some patients.

Olwen

PS: There is *absolutely no truth* in the rumour that I got my
bra-fillers on a special offer - three for the price of two :-)