[SystemSafety] Personal and corporate liabilities as a consequence of safety, security and other mistakes of similar importance

paul_e.bennett at topmail.co.uk paul_e.bennett at topmail.co.uk
Mon Oct 8 21:30:33 CEST 2018

On 08/10/2018 at 8:07 PM, "Peter Bernard Ladkin" <ladkin at causalis.com> wrote:

>Folks,
>
>I recently wrote a paper with Martyn which is about to be
>submitted for publication (encouraged
>after preliminary consultation with the editor) in a journal on
>..... policy. There is a section on
>programming culture, which largely consists of anecdotes. They are
>anecdotes which (I contend) are
>persistent (over decades). And they are anecdotes which predict,
>in some sense, qualities of the
>resulting SW.

[%X]

>How are we going to get this material in the engineering-
>scientific literature? It surely cannot
>remain as backchat amongst mailing-list subscribers, for it is far
>too consequential.

Exactly one of the points I tried to make in my previous posting. We here,
for the most part, are the choir. What we need to do is educate the rest of
the congregation. There are a few nicely anecdotal books including the
excellent 'If I Only Changed the Software, Why is the Phone on Fire?:
Embedded Debugging Methods Revealed: Technical Mysteries for
Engineers' by Lisa K. Simone

I expect that a few definite software related disaster case studies would
be very useful material to be presented in academia and within the basic
apprentice training programmes. I would also set a project and, having
encouraged the students to use the course servers for file storage, bar
their access to it at a crucial moment in the course timetable (to simulate
the loss of all electronic project data).

Regards

Paul E. Bennett IEng MIET
Systems Engineer
Lunar Mission One Ambassador
Paul E. Bennett IEng MIET.....
Forth based HIDECS Consultancy.............
Mob: +44 (0)7811-639972
Tel: Due to relocation - new number TBA. Please use Mobile.