[SystemSafety] A small taste of what we're up against

Martyn Thomas martyn at thomas-associates.co.uk
Fri Oct 26 11:07:05 CEST 2018

Dewi

The avionics industry is a very special case because (a) manufacturers
have an existential stake in avoiding hull losses and (b) every hull
loss is examined in great detail to identify contributory factors, (c)
there is great investment in architectural resilience against the
failure of individual systems and components.

The economic incentives to conform to standards and to go far beyond
them are very strong in avionics, which is perhaps one reason why the
take-up of rigorous software engineering has been stronger there than in
most other areas of software development.

It's hard to eliminate these considerations when trying to draw more
widely applicable conclusions from the achievements in this sector.

Martyn