[SystemSafety] A small taste of what we're up against

Nick Tudor njt at tudorassoc.com
Fri Oct 26 11:40:01 CEST 2018

An example was asked for and given; So is this ALARP or isn’t it? I would
like to know as I’m sat on the tarmac about to start engines....now going
to flight safe mode.

On Fri, 26 Oct 2018 at 11:12, Martyn Thomas <martyn at thomas-associates.co.uk>
wrote:

> Dewi
>
> The avionics industry is a very special case because (a) manufacturers
> have an existential stake in avoiding hull losses and (b) every hull loss
> is examined in great detail to identify contributory factors, (c) there is
> great investment in architectural resilience against the failure of
> individual systems and components.
>
> The economic incentives to conform to standards and to go far beyond them
> are very strong in avionics, which is perhaps one reason why the take-up of
> rigorous software engineering has been stronger there than in most other
> areas of software development.
>
> It's hard to eliminate these considerations when trying to draw more
> widely applicable conclusions from the achievements in this sector.
>
> Martyn
>
> On 26/10/2018 09:14, Dewi Daniels wrote:
>
> There are over 25,000 certified jet airliners in service world-wide, many
> containing software written in C. There has not been a single hull-loss
> accident in passenger service ascribed to a software fault.
>
> Yours,
>
> Dewi Daniels | Director | Software Safety Limited

Nick Tudor
Tudor Associates Ltd
Mobile: +44(0)7412 074654
www.tudorassoc.com