[SystemSafety] Component Reliability and System Safety

Martyn Thomas martyn at thomas-associates.co.uk
Fri Sep 14 17:52:31 CEST 2018

And don't forget that in the UK you have a duty under criminal law (HSWA
1974 <https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1974/37>) to ensure that your
work does not expose anyone to risks to their health and safety. If
there is an accident and you seek to rely on a claim that the risks have
been reduced so far as is reasonably practicable, then the burden of
proof falls on you and it will require evidence that you have evaluated
ways in which the risks could have been further reduced and that you
have shown that the costs would be grossly disproportionate to the
benefits.

Martyn