[SystemSafety] Component Reliability and System Safety

David Crocker dcrocker at eschertech.com
Fri Sep 14 21:40:16 CEST 2018

Those people could **just** use static analysis tools, and get the same benefit.
<<

You are assisting that static analysis tools that don't enforce the MISRA guidelines provide as much safety as those that do. What are your grounds for that assertion? The MISRA guidelines have been produced and by a group of people from different backgrounds with experience of critical software written in C, and input from a much larger group, and gone though revisions. I doubt that any single vendor of a static analysis tool has the same breadth of experience. Of course there is a of of overlap, and there are some MISRA rules that I find questionable; but I'd rather use a published set of rules that have undergone scrutiny than an unpublished or poorly-documented set of rules that perhaps just one individual working for a tool vendor thought were good and easy to implement.

Your answer doesn't address the system safety part of my question at all, afaict...
<<

System safety requires at the very least a good set of requirements, an assembly of components that will meet those requirements if the components behave correctly, and components that behave correctly for all inputs they receive. MISRA helps with the last of those.