[SystemSafety] Failure Modes in ML

Martyn Thomas martyn at thomas-associates.co.uk
Tue Dec 17 11:04:06 CET 2019

There's far stricter safety regulation of aircraft than of cars. If cars
had to be developed and assured to safety standards equivalent to those
required for aircraft, I doubt that many car manufacturers could remain
profitable.

I wonder what the number of fatalities per passenger mile would look
like if one compared recently introduced highly automated cars with
recently introduced highly automated aircraft (I'm thinking 737Max).

Or would "per trip" be a more useful comparison?

Martyn