[SystemSafety] Failure Modes in ML

Peter Bishop pgb at adelard.com
Tue Dec 17 14:47:19 CET 2019

Or maybe per hour?

Peter

On 17/12/2019 10:04, Martyn Thomas wrote:
> There's far stricter safety regulation of aircraft than of cars. If cars
> had to be developed and assured to safety standards equivalent to those
> required for aircraft, I doubt that many car manufacturers could remain
> profitable.
>
> I wonder what the number of fatalities per passenger mile would look
> like if one compared recently introduced highly automated cars with
> recently introduced highly automated aircraft (I'm thinking 737Max).
>
> Or would "per trip" be a more useful comparison?
>
> Martyn
>
> On 17/12/2019 08:24, Peter Bernard Ladkin wrote:
>> I think we could conclude that that is in any case going reasonably well. There has been one fatal
>> accident, thoroughly investigated by the NHTSA with a public report, and Uber has necessarily
>> reacted to those findings, just as Tesla has reacted to the NHTSA findings on its accidents.

Peter Bishop
Chief Scientist
Adelard LLP
24 Waterside, 44-48 Wharf Road, London N1 7UX

Email: pgb at adelard.com
Tel:  +44-(0)20-7832 5850

Registered office: 5th Floor, Ashford Commercial Quarter, 1 Dover Place, Ashford, Kent TN23 1FB
Registered in England & Wales no. OC 304551. VAT no. 454 489808

This e-mail, and any attachments, is confidential and for the use of
the addressee only. If you are not the intended recipient, please
telephone 020 7832 5850. We do not accept legal responsibility for
this e-mail or any viruses.