[SystemSafety] Failure Modes in ML

Bruce Hunter brucer.hunter at gmail.com
Fri Dec 20 02:05:57 CET 2019

 On 2019-12-17 00:31 , Peter Bernard Ladkin wrote:

>> ... governments ... are wowed by the buzz but not willing to
>> contemplate the risks.

>That may be true of some governments, but it doesn't seem to be true of,
for example, California's.

Yes, I did generalised too much with my comments. There are a many good
initiatives by government agencies to address the risk of ML and autonomous
vehicles. California seems to have the right balance in setting and
enforcing rules to keep other road users safe.

Australia's National Transport Commission and Ausroads have, however, only
published "*Guidelines* for trials of automated vehicles in Australia" in
response to "Australia’s transport ministers have endorsed an ambitious
roadmap of reform that will facilitate the introduction of more automated
vehicles on our roads".

It's a tricky thing for politicians to correctly balance risk and benefit.

Thank you for the other references and thoughts on AI and ML risks related
to safety (freedom from harm). I'll research them with interest.

I'm a bit concerned when IIoT, Edge Technology and Could-based AI will
start being used for safety-related systems. This may have some great
benefits but some possible big risks with dependability. There is already
some that push for this to be used in alarm monitoring.

Regards,
Bruce