[SystemSafety] Failure Modes in ML

Peter Bernard Ladkin ladkin at causalis.com
Tue Dec 17 15:07:31 CET 2019

On 2019-12-17 14:47 , Peter Bishop wrote:
> Or maybe per hour?
>
> Peter
>
> On 17/12/2019 10:04, Martyn Thomas wrote:
>> I wonder what the number of fatalities per passenger mile would look
>> like if one compared recently introduced highly automated cars with
>> recently introduced highly automated aircraft (I'm thinking 737Max).
>>
>> Or would "per trip" be a more useful comparison?
Exposure is usually a key parameter of risk assessment and that argues generally for a time-based
parameter.

A reason per-trip is a useful parameter for aviation is that one leg has distinct phases of flight
in which the most critical phases occur just once, with almost-identical exposure in each
occurrence. So per-trip becomes a good proxy for exposure.

PBL

Prof. Peter Bernard Ladkin, Bielefeld, Germany
MoreInCommon