[SystemSafety] GPS jamming

Dewi Daniels dewi.daniels at software-safety.com
Fri Jul 12 11:40:54 CEST 2019

Brent,

You can buy some very capable small form-factor IMUs such as the Xsens MTi
100-series (https://www.xsens.com/products/mti-100-series/) which cost
between £1,500 and £3,000, though they're not qualified for aviation use.
The low end for an avionics IMU would be something like an Archangel AHR50 (
http://www.archangel.com/products/ahr50ahrs). I don't know how much that
costs.

Section 1.7 of the WAAS Specification at
https://www.gps.gov/technical/ps/2008-WAAS-performance-standard.pdf explains
that WAAS is intended to support area navigation (RNAV) en route for
aircraft that are *not *equipped with inertial navigation and/or flight
management systems. WAAS provides the additional accuracy, availability,
continuity and integrity necessary to enable users to rely on GPS for all
phases of flight, from en route through approaches with vertical guidance,
at all qualified airports within the WAAS LPV coverage area.

I don't understand what's happened in this instance. The NASA article is
very low on detail. Either WAAS does not perform as intended, which would
be very alarming, or this aircraft was not equipped with a WAAS receiver,
in which case why was the pilot attempting an RNAV approach?

Yours,

Dewi Daniels | Director | Software Safety Limited

Telephone +44 7968 837742 | Email d <ddaniels at verocel.com>
ewi.daniels at software-safety.com

Software Safety Limited is a company registered in England and Wales.
Company number: 9390590. Registered office: Fairfield, 30F Bratton Road,
West Ashton, Trowbridge, United Kingdom BA14 6AZ