[SystemSafety] Uber Advanced Technologies Group publishes its "Safety Case Framework"

Bruce Hunter brucer.hunter at gmail.com
Tue Jul 23 04:31:55 CEST 2019

To be fair to Uber ATG, this is only meant to be the first layers and goals
are developed only at a summary level. Although it misses the supporting
strategy or context, it is good that they have gone public with this but it
needs wider scrutiny and judgement against accepted standards.

Looking at the cybersecurity goals in G4.3 ("Potential harm from cyber
intrusion is appropriately mitigated") does miss some critical elements but
is a good start.
An interesting conflict point is in G4.3.4.2 "Over the air updates minimise
duration of cyber vulnerabilities". Updates may be just as threatening to
operational safety as the intrusions they are meant to protect against.

It is a shame this Safety Case was not completed and agreed before Uber AV
trails were started. You wouldn't get away with it in other industries.

I hope Uber engages the wider professional community to truly validate the
safety of their autonomous vehicle deployment. To quote Uber's next scary
step "Melbourne, Dallas and Los Angeles are becoming the first cities to
offer Uber Air flights, with the goal of beginning demonstrator flights in
2020 and commercial operations in 2023". Not sure if this safety-case
approach is sufficient for the current road-based Uber AV let alone Uber
Elevate project.

Bruce