[SystemSafety] Uber Advanced Technologies Group publishes its "Safety Case Framework"

Olwen Morgan olwen at phaedsys.com
Tue Jul 23 13:32:23 CEST 2019

On 23/07/2019 03:31, Bruce Hunter wrote:

<snip>

Although it misses the supporting strategy or context, it is good that
they have gone public with this but it needs wider scrutiny and
judgement against accepted standards.

<snip>

Uber's strategy will, IMO, be largely irrelevant because they do not
control the fixed infrastructure in which their AVs will run. Railways
have a dedicated infrastructure for trains and aviation has dedicated
infrastructures for both civil and military flight. AV's will not be
using a dedicated infrastructure and they will be trying to shoe-horn
safety into environmental constraints that their designers had no part
in setting.

I'm expecting AVs to work safely only where a such infrastructure can be
provided, e.g. inter-terminal shuttles at airports or physically
separate dedicated lanes on public roads. IMO no amount of in-vehicle
technology is going to compensate for hazards arising from the existing
design of non-dedicated infrastructure. The likely result, I suspect,
will be a series of accidents before people realise that the lack of
dedicated infrastructure is the critical problem.

Olwen