[SystemSafety] B737M MCAS

Olwen Morgan olwen at phaedsys.com
Tue Mar 19 22:07:45 CET 2019

Another egregious example of this is the FDA 501(k) route for
certification of medical devices. I've also heard from someone qualified
to know (but under Chatham House rules) that at least one medical device
has been certified as hardware only and then received certification
under 501(k) when the software was added on the basis that it was
"substantially the same" as the hardware-only device.

... WTF??? ... %-{

As regards the 737 MAX series, the apparent susceptibility to nose-down
attitude ought surely to have been detected in software testing.
Properly designed simulated stress testing ought to have discovered it
quite easily. For aircraft, this involves using stress test drivers that
mimic both the external atmospheric conditions and pilot behaviour.
Unfortunately, very few system engineers that I've ever met understand
that all relevant external systems need to be simulated in this kind of
testing ... and I wouldn't trust overly many of them even to spell
"atmospheric physics" properly.

Olwen