[SystemSafety] B737M MCAS

Littlewood, Bev Bev.Littlewood.1 at city.ac.uk
Tue Mar 19 17:40:43 CET 2019

On 19 Mar 2019, at 13:38, Andy Ashworth <andy at the-ashworths.org<mailto:andy at the-ashworths.org>> wrote:

In summary, there was a failure in the engineering of the overall system rather than a failure within a specific component or discipline.

That sounds right to me. The following may be a rather naive observation (i’m no expert on these aeronautical matters), but I wonder whether the problem was compounded by a regulatory regime which seems to allow a new “version” of an aircraft “type” to have an easier certification passage than a new type. How different does a new version have to be, compared with its predecessor(s), before it is regarded as a new type, with all the extra certification rigour that that seems to imply? Deciding to fit larger engines, and needing to move them upwards and forwards, seems a rather fundamental design change to me, which might be expected to have correspondingly fundamental consequences.

Cheers

Bev

Bev Littlewood
Emeritus Professor of Software Engineering
Centre for Software Reliability
City, University of London
EC1V 0HB