[SystemSafety] Flight London to Germany goes to Scotland...

Bernd Sieker sieker at causalis.com
Tue Mar 26 11:40:42 CET 2019

On 26.03.2019 11:29, Chris Hills wrote:
> Hi All
>

> Here is and interesting one to ponder. Although the aircraft ended up in
> the wrong place it does appear to have done so safely.
> I wondering how this happened as surely the aircrew must have realised
> they were flying north rather than south east.

A similar case has always been part of our System Safety / WBA tutorials
at the university. A Northwest Airlines DC-10 from Detroit landed
(safely) at Brussels instead of Frankfurt by mistake. The crew realised
this when they broke out of the clouds and noticed that the airport
layout looked different, but being already established on the ILS they
continued to land. They even addressed Brussels Tower as "Frankfurt
Tower" initially.

It doesn't seem quite as ridiculous, because at least the general
direction for most of the flight would be the same for Brussels and
Frankfurt. But still.