[SystemSafety] A Safety Issue, but not Tech - Drowning

Bruce Hunter brucer.hunter at gmail.com
Wed May 15 04:38:57 CEST 2019

Les raises some interesting points on drownings in Australia that relates
to risk assessment in unfamiliar locations. Due to the popularity of water
sports in Australia, ways to reduce the risk of drowning is seriously
studied and funded by the federal government.

I don't have statistics on efficacy of preventive measures but, according
to Royal Life Saving Australia report for 10 years to 2015, 27% of drowning
deaths in Australia were born overseas out of a total of 762. (https://www.
royallifesaving.com.au
/facts-and-figures/research-and-reports/research-reports/drowning-data-reports).
In overall deaths due to drowning, a higher representation (121 out of 762)
were males aged between 25 to 34 years; possibly due to a higher risk
appetite. A young, fit, male friend of mine was drowned in a rip a few
years ago at an unpatrolled beach. You could compare drowning risk of
patrolled versus unpatrolled water.

Life Savers have comprehensive risk assessment at beaches and the resulting
protective measures include only swimming between flags and a permanent
watch when beach is open. Beach drownings mostly occur when these measures
are ignored.

Behavioural risk is an interesting side to safety and is not always
considered (except in specific areas such as aerospace). Daniel Kahneman's
book, "Thinking Fast and Slow". published in 2011 provides some good
insight into the psychology of risk assessment and its narrow framing.
Although inspired by behaviour in business and politics (he was awarded
Nobel Prize in Economic Sciences) it still is very applicable to other
areas such as safety risk awareness and controls. Another book "Foolproof"
by Greg Ip, deals with risk desensitisation which could also be applicable.

I think the human element is often overlooked as in the previous email on
737 Max issues.

For those visiting Australia, airlines now do play videos and provide
brochures on the dangers of drowning. It's not just the poisonous creatures
we have to worry about in Oz.

Bruce