[SystemSafety] John Locke on Agile development ... seriously ... sort of ....

Olwen Morgan olwen at phaedsys.com
Mon Oct 21 19:51:53 CEST 2019

*
As it happens, I'm currently reading John Locke's /Essay Concerning
Human Understanding/ (ECHU), first published in 1690.

Consider these slogans of Agile development:

Individuals and interactions over processes and tools.
Working software over comprehensive documentation.
Customer collaboration over contract negotiation.
Responding to change over following a plan.

Now consider Locke, ECHU, Book 2, Chapter 21, from Article 67:

" ... The first, therefore, and great use of liberty is to hinder blind
precipitancy; the principal exercise of freedom is to stand still, open
the eyes, look about, and take a view of the consequence of what we are
going to do, as much as the weight of the matter requires. ..."

Epilogue: Well done all you crass code-monkey advocates of Agile
methods. You are now just a tad more than three centuries behind the
vanguard of modern thought.

Needless to say, I'd send all of the bnggers to gulags.

Olwen