[SystemSafety] Putting Agile into a longer perspective

paul_e.bennett at topmail.co.uk paul_e.bennett at topmail.co.uk
Mon Oct 21 22:31:58 CEST 2019

On 21/10/2019 at 8:18 PM, "Steve Tockey" <steve.tockey at construx.com> wrote:

>I believe it was Fred Brooks who said in 1975, about the OS/360
>project in 1965,
>
>“Build one to throw away”
>
>Unfortunately, building just the first one is really expensive.
>Who ever really throws it away and builds it again?

Joining a project halfway through its 4 year development run, I called
for the first two years of software effort to be scrapped so that we could
start again. It took a week of review meeting time to get management to
agree that was teh best strategy. The software design for that project
was then completed in 20 months when I adopted a more controlled and
sensibly modular approach. Even the company's client liked the new
strategy and design. I was taking over from a departed software guy.

In other projects I will find time to play with the areas that need deeper
understanding. Trying different approaches. Any code or prototype
that is created during that phase is scrapped. However, the data and
information that is extracted from such play-time gets embedded in an
updated specification. Then we can do the real job.

Regards

Paul E. Bennett IEng MIET
Systems Engineer
Lunar Mission One Ambassador
Paul E. Bennett IEng MIET.....
Forth based HIDECS Consultancy.............
Mob: +44 (0)7811-639972
Tel: Due to relocation - new number TBA. Please use Mobile.