[SystemSafety] Fwd: Safer Complex Systems funding and research opportunities

Martyn Thomas martyn at thomas-associates.co.uk
Thu Oct 31 17:17:55 CET 2019

-------- Forwarded Message --------

Dear all,

Given your interest in autonomous systems I wanted to share some details
of an opportunity my colleague Shelley  is leading. Shelley manages the
new Safer Complex Systems programme
<https://www.raeng.org.uk/grants-and-prizes/grants/international-research-and-collaborations/safer-complex-systems>//at
the Royal Academy of Engineering. Funded by the Lloyd’s Register
Foundation, this 5-year programme aims to increase safety in the design,
management and governance of complex systems. The programme will achieve
this by supporting the most impactful interventions where they are most
needed, globally.

Through this programme, the Academy has launched two opportunities to
determine the regions and activities that will receive funding to
increase the safety of complex systems globally. *If of interest, please
kindly take the time to input your own ideas and share these important
opportunities with your international colleagues and networks. *We want
to hear from all countries, the full breadth of engineering, all sectors
and organisation types. We particularly encourage responses from women
and other underrepresented groups in engineering.

*1. International Call for Ideas (Deadline 18 November 2019*
<https://www.raeng.org.uk/grants-and-prizes/grants/international-research-and-collaborations/safer-complex-systems>)**

Do you know of a complex system with safety risks? What are the key
safety challenges? Which activities should the Academy fund to overcome
these challenges to increase safety within these complex systems? This
short 10-15 minute survey is an opportunity for people anywhere in the
world to influence the scope and strategy of the /Safer Complex Systems/
programme: *your response will help determine what activities we fund
and where.* From humanitarianism, health, food supply and cybersecurity,
to voting systems, climate change, AI and machine learning, we are
interested in the safety of /all/ complex systems at this early stage,
so all ideas are most welcome.

This grant funding programme is able to fund a broad range of activities
to increase the safety of complex systems (e.g. research (not PhD),
public engagement campaigns, training, knowledge dissemination, new
regulation, engineering innovation). There are lots of possibilities so
I would encourage you to think as broadly as possible. Wherever possible
try to emphasise how your suggestions will translate into practice to
make a real, tangible difference to improving people’s lives.

* *

*2. Call for Case Studies (Call for Abstracts - Deadline 11 November
2019)*
<https://www.raeng.org.uk/grants-and-prizes/grants/international-research-and-collaborations/safer-complex-systems/call-for-case-studies>**

The Academy have launched this Call for Case Studies to gather tangible
case studies from all over the world to demonstrate the strengths and
weaknesses of different approaches to the design, management and
governance of complex systems. These case studies will support the
global community to learn from one another, to improve practices, and to
increase safety in complex systems globally. We will publish these case
studies in a free, online library to enable widespread dissemination of
good practice from successful systems and lessons learned following
systems failure. *The Academy is asking Academia and Industry to help
develop these case studies.*

From the submitted Abstracts, the Academy will select the case studies
they believe will be most helpful to a diverse, global community. If
required, the Academy will provide funding to develop the Abstract into
a longer piece of research, to produce a full case study. The Academy
will publish the final case studies both online and offline. There may
also be opportunities to develop the case studies into creative
resources (e.g. films, animations, media articles, interactive tools,
and/or documentaries) to better inform members of the public on the
issues raised.

Best Wishes,

Alex

* *

*Dr Alexandra****Smyth***

*Policy Advisor*

Royal Academy of Engineering

* *

+44 (0)20 7766 0736 <tel:+44%2020%207766%200684>

alexandra.smyth at raeng.org.uk <mailto:alexandra.smyth at raeng.org.uk>

www.raeng.org.uk <http://www.raeng.org.uk/>

Find us onFacebook <http://www.facebook.com/RAEngineering>, LinkedIn
<https://www.linkedin.com/company/the-royal-academy-of-engineering/>, or