[SystemSafety] AVs vs. driver aids ... some more WTF questions

Olwen Morgan olwen at phaedsys.com
Mon Sep 2 16:29:36 CEST 2019

Another gem from the Ford Grand C Max's systems:

1.    I stop the car, apply the handbrake and move the gear stick to
neutral. Then I switch off the engine at the button on the dashboard.
The engine stops. While I am filling in my mileage book, the mileage
display switches off. I switch on using the dashboard button but do not
start the engine. I read the mileage figure. Then, forgetting to switch
off at the dashboard, I open the door. The car responds by beeping and
showing a message asking me to switch off again at the dashboard. ...
Seems sensible.

2.    I stop the car, apply the hand brake and put it into neutral. The
car stops the engine because of its economy features. Then, since I am
actually parking rather than just stationary in traffic, I open the door
to get out forgetting to switch off at the dashboard. Do I get a beep
and a reminder to switch off? No. The car *starts the engine* when I
open the door. ...

*

Methinks someone has forgotten to do full transition coverage testing of
this part of the system.

Fortunately, nothing of this sort could *possibly* happen in an
autonomous vehicle ... er ... %-}

Olwen