[SystemSafety] AVs vs. driver aids ... some more WTF questions

Palin, Stuart (UK) stuart.palin at baesystems.com
Tue Sep 3 15:31:38 CEST 2019

Olwen Morgan wrote:

Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2019 15:29:36 +0100
Subject: Re: [SystemSafety] AVs vs. driver aids ... some more WTF questions

> Another gem from the Ford Grand C Max's systems:
> 2.??? I stop the car, apply the hand brake and put it into neutral. The
> car stops the engine because of its economy features. Then, since I am
> actually parking rather than just stationary in traffic, I open the door
> to get out forgetting to switch off at the dashboard. Do I get a beep
>and a reminder to switch off? No. The car *starts the engine* when I
> open the door. ...

What would you expect to happen in the case of:

3.  Stop the car, apply handbrake, put into neutral, engine not stopped
by economy features (e.g. because battery charging), do not turn off,
door opens.

I would expect the car not to change state (i.e. keep the engine running - because I am just opening the garage door so I can park up, or something similar).

For your second case - transitioning the vehicle to engine-running would seem to align it with this state, and acts as a reminder that you have not turned off.  Seems to have a logic to it.

--
Stuart Palin

[Views are my own, not necessarily the company's.  The followig is required by UK law ...

BAE Systems (Operations) Limited
Registered in England & Wales No: 1996687
www.baesystems.com

BAE Systems will collect and process information about you that may be subject to data protection laws. For more information about how we use and disclose your personal information, how we protect your information, our legal basis to use your information, your rights and who you can contact, please refer to the relevant sections of our Privacy note at www.baesystems.com/en/privacy.

BAE Systems may process information about you that may be subject to data protection
laws. For more information about how we use your personal information, how we protect
your information, our legal basis for using your information, your rights and who you can
contact, please refer to our Privacy Notice at www.baesystems.com/en/privacy