[SystemSafety] C for OSs

Les Chambers les at chambers.com.au
Tue Sep 17 13:30:59 CEST 2019

Hi Martyn
Your theme is brilliantly covered in the book: Mindset by Dr Carol S. Dweck. I came across it while reading some background on Microsoft's CEO Satya Nadella. He was the electrical engineer who made a 20,000,000,000 dollar business out of cloud services for Microsoft. It sounds like he sleeps with this book under his pillow.

Mindset is about instilling the concept of the 'growth mindset' in yourself and others. Whereas some of us leave university believing we are fully formed human beings, the more successful graduates understand that we never stop learning and pursue it aggressively. I particularly liked the section on coaching where Dweck points out that it's not enough to set high standards, you have to show people a path from when they are to where you want them to be and to be generous with your time as opposed to screaming that they just need to read more books.

Les