[SystemSafety] C for OSs

Steve Tockey steve.tockey at construx.com
Mon Sep 23 18:09:23 CEST 2019

Chris Hills wrote:

“What has made it far worse is "coding" being pushed as a skill, at least
in the UK.”

Same here in the US, and from my travels I can say it's the same all the
way around the world. For example, this article from just last week:

https://mashable.com/shopping/sept-18-computer-science-master-class/

Quote from the article:

“Learn the ropes of computer science with this master class bundle — just
$39 for full access to tons of courses that'll make you a pro in no time.”

“Not only are jobs aplenty in the computer science field, but they also
come with a pretty paycheck – over $91K a year, on average.”

“. . . this Computer Science Master Class Bundle will give you a complete
computer science education without the massive loans.”

Course content is said to include:

* C#, JavaScript, Java, Scala, Google Go, Python 3, PHP MySQL
* The Arduino IoT cloud platform
* Software testing technologies: Sikuli, Selenium, Junit
* Building apps with Alexa
* Technical fundamentals and interview tips

The Technical Fundamentals course had a hint of promise, but looking at
the course outline shows otherwise:

* Introduction
* Pointer and Arrays
* Strings are just pointers at heart
* Linked lists can be fun!
* Bit Manipulation
* General programming problems - practice makes perfect
* Big-O Notation, Sorting And Searching Algorithms
* Recursion and the recursive sense
* Stacks And Queues
* Binary Trees
* Binary Search Trees
* Binary Tree Problems

Discrete math? No

Set theory? No
Requirements? No
Design? No
Code quality? No
Peer review? No
Development processes? No
Computer architecture? No
Engineering economics? No

The list of critical but missing content goes on and on.

Chris Hills finished with, “It’s depressing.”

Yes. Without a doubt. . .

— steve