[SystemSafety] [Safety Systems] "Hospital lab tests delayed by "Twilight Zone" births"

paul_e.bennett at topmail.co.uk paul_e.bennett at topmail.co.uk
Mon Aug 3 10:29:12 CEST 2020

<http://catless.ncl.ac.uk/Risks/32.16#subj9>

The Risks Digest recently reported the above problem.

I always maintain that there is only one time-base for "System Time"
and that most definitely has to be UTC. Time-stamping on the System
date and time based on UTC will keep the sense of linear time without
the problems around switching the time references each time we switch
from winter to summer times or back.

If you really must display local time, then the conversion (either way) is
just the application of some simple math between the two systems. Store
the date and time of an event according to UTC and convert to local for
display.

Regards

Paul E. Bennett IEng MIET
Systems Engineer
Lunar Mission One Ambassador
Paul E. Bennett IEng MIET.....
Forth based HIDECS Consultancy.............
Mob: +44 (0)7811-639972
Tel: Due to relocation - new number TBA. Please use Mobile.