[SystemSafety] [EXTERNAL] The Carmont/Stonehaven rail accident

Ewing, John JEwing at ltk.com
Mon Aug 17 20:32:12 CEST 2020

My understanding is that the driving locomotive lies in the badly burnt area between coach E and the north end of the bridge.  It appears that the locomotive, having derailed at speed at the (fresh) landslip on the down line within the cutting just south of the bridge, continued onto the bridge, then fell from the bridge at speed in such a way as to violently (nearly perpendicularly) strike the hillside west of the north abutment, after which the locomotive rolled or rebounded further down the hillside, to the west.  It appears the locomotive came to rest upside down, against a stand of trees that prevented it from rolling further down the hillside.  Subsequently, the remains of the locomotive were consumed by fire.  The locomotive is not readily visible in any news photographs I have seen, including aerial ones, but it can be discerned in one photograph on the RAIB website.  https://www.gov.uk/government/news/passenger-train-derailment-near-carmont-aberdeenshire

Please accept my apologies if this is redundant information to those on this list, who perhaps have reached the same (or other) conclusions independently.

JOHN H. EWING, P.E.