[SystemSafety] "FAA chief '100% confident' of 737 MAX safety as flights to resume"

Olwen Morgan olwen at phaedsys.com
Tue Dec 1 19:13:17 CET 2020

> No. The problem is that, without MCAS, the aircraft does not satisfy
> the airworthiness regulations and therefore cannot be certified to fly
> passengers in commercial service.

So, whereas earlier generations of the 737 were airworthy without MCAS,
the 737 MAX is not airworthy without MCAS?

If so, this strikes me as being somewhat more than a marginal difference.

And as regards stick force, what is the cause of the reduction in stick
force that MCAS was introduced to correct? Reduced aerodynamic pressure
on the aft horizontal control surfaces?

In the matter of repeating oneself, let me observe that I am thinking in
terms of flight physics, whereas you seem to be thinking in terms of JAR
rules. When such differences of perspective exist, it is hardly
surprising if a series of exchanges is needed to establish a clear basis
of understanding.

olwen