[SystemSafety] "FAA chief '100% confident' of 737 MAX safety as flights to resume"

Olwen Morgan olwen at phaedsys.com
Thu Dec 3 18:23:40 CET 2020

Rummaging around the internet, I found at:

https://aviation.stackexchange.com/questions/15662/how-does-flight-control-surface-authority-change-with-aoa

the following text:

Control authority is a function of the local dynamic pressure (the
product of air density and speed squared), geometry (the product of
control surface area and lever arm), local angle of attack𝛼α, the angle
of deflection𝜂ηand the relative flap chord. Generally, the control
surface works fairly linearly in a range between−15°<𝜂<15°−15°<η<15°for
a relative flap chord of 25% rsp.−25°<𝜂<25°−25°<η<25°for a relative
flap chord of 15%. Interpolate for values in between. Note that flap
effectiveness is proportional to the square root of the relative flap
chord, such that a flap of 15% needs twice the deflection angle to
effect the same control authority than a flap of 60% relative chord.

I haven't a clue whether this is correct but it does suggest that
control authority depends on local aerodynamic pressure. So I ask again,
assuming that reduced stick force reflects reduced forces acting on the
HS and elevators, then it would appear that local aerodynamic pressure
is reduced. And if so, according to the quoted text, presumably control
authority will have been reduced.

So, in 737 MAX with MCAS not in operation, when the stick force reduces
while the nose pitches up, how close is the overall system to a
trajectory through its phase space that enters a deep stall?

If nobody here can answer this, then I'd suggest that we're all
wallowing in our own ignorance-induced BS.

Olwen