[SystemSafety] Faults in maths proofs

Olwen Morgan olwen at phaedsys.com
Mon Dec 14 13:56:36 CET 2020

On 12/12/2020 19:35, Les Chambers wrote:
> <snip>
> Doesn’t he know that our approach to truth will be forever asymptotic,
> for the truth lies at infinity.

<snip>

Western textbooks often speak of physical phenomena "obeying"
mathematical laws whereas, in my experience, Russian and Soviet
textbooks almost always refer to mathematical equations as "describing"
physical phenomena.

I'm with the Russian view here and never myself refer to physical
phenomena "obeying" equations. In my view Wigner's "unreasonable
effectiveness of mathematics in the natural sciences" (google for it) is
pure dumb luck.

Olwen