[SystemSafety] "Ripple20 vulnerabilities will haunt the IoT landscape for years to come"

Olwen Morgan olwen at phaedsys.com
Wed Jul 1 16:56:45 CEST 2020

I agree entirely. Given full choice, I would use the best static
analysis tools I could get to analyse all possible execution instances
of my code. Then I would use the best testing tools I could get to
implement a thoroughly designed set of tests that 100% covered all
relevant input-output behaviour (by strong, robust boundary-value
testing) and simultaneously all simple paths through the code (having
deliberately designed the code such that every set of tests that
achieves the said 100% boundary value coverage also achieves 100% simple
path coverage).

If the tests passed, my confidence in the assertion of program
correctness would increase in the same way that a scientific experiment
that fails to falsify a hypothesis strengthens confidence in the truth
of the hypothesis.

If any test failed, then I would start looking for a problem somewhere
... not excluding the possibility that the static analysis and test
coverage measurement tools might have got it wrong.

What else could I reasonably do? ...

... and WTF can anyone do if shait-breaned project managers do not let
one approach software quality with comparable rigour?

Olwen