[SystemSafety] The ethics of dealing with mistakes

Olwen Morgan olwen at phaedsys.com
Wed Jul 1 17:41:36 CEST 2020

Never mind the safety of buildings on stilts. They can never be made
secure against bomb attacks simply because a bomb in a large van can be
driven between the stilts and detonated.

I encountered this issue when I was involved, tangentially, in the
selection of a headquarters building for a financial institution. An ex
RAF-regiment security manager took one look at a photo of a building on
stilts, pointed out the mobile bomb risk, and struck that building off
the list of viable candidates ...

... but not before describing in very colourful language the "ingenus"
that had proposed it in the first place.

Olwen