[SystemSafety] Misunderstanding of the nature of mathematics

Peter Bishop pgb at adelard.com
Wed Jul 1 18:34:51 CEST 2020

Any formal system is based on a set of premises
which, may or may not, be true in practice.

An empirical test failure can be due to a flawed test or a flawed /
inapplicable premise

Peter

On 01/07/2020 17:25, Olwen Morgan wrote:

> Apropos of what, if things go wrong here, could end up somewhat akin
> to a pub brawl with PBL, I'd like to offer the following quotation
> from the late and profoundly missed Academician Vladimir Igorevich Arnold:
>

> "Mathematics is a part of physics. Physics is an experimental science,
> a part of natural science. Mathematics is the part of physics where
> experiments are cheap."
>

> You can believe what Peter is suggesting about CbyC if and only if you
> *disagree* with the proposition that mathematics is an empirical science.
>
> Sorry, Peter, but if I have a choice between believing you and
> believing Arnold, I'm afraid Arnold wins.
>

> Olwen

Peter Bishop
Chief Scientist
Adelard LLP
24 Waterside, 44-48 Wharf Road, London N1 7UX

Email: pgb at adelard.com
Tel:  +44-(0)20-7832 5850

Registered office: 5th Floor, Ashford Commercial Quarter, 1 Dover Place, Ashford, Kent TN23 1FB
Registered in England & Wales no. OC 304551. VAT no. 454 489808

This e-mail, and any attachments, is confidential and for the use of
the addressee only. If you are not the intended recipient, please
telephone 020 7832 5850. We do not accept legal responsibility for
this e-mail or any viruses.