[SystemSafety] Correctness by Construction

Olwen Morgan olwen at phaedsys.com
Mon Jul 13 16:09:42 CEST 2020

> As I use the term, source code SC is developed CbyC, it means
>
> * there is a Requirements Specification RS which allows one practically to determine whether certain
> program behaviours fulfil it or not
>
> * there is a means Chk of determining whether program behaviours will satisfy RS through analysis of
> the source code SC of the program and the meaning of SC. (This statement assumes Chk is sound.)
>
> * Chk is incremental, that is, it may be applied soundly to source code as it is being written, and
> relatively comprehensive, that is, it can be applied to most programs SC
>
> * SC is indeed developed with incremental use of Chk

Plus what PBL has here omitted - and without which any attempt at CbyC
can rapidly fall apart:

1.    Draconian configuration management of all tools used within the
process and artefacts produced by it.

2.    Validated compilers and, for some languages, draconian language
subsets.

3.    A suitably capable Chk element supporting *automated* program
proof. SPARK tools are pretty good but C tools vary. Homo sapiens is
useless.

4.    In-process review procedures that are fit-for-purpose and strictly
followed.

6.    A critical mass of suitably trained and supportive staff.

7.    Supportive, technically-aware management that understands what
CbyC does - and does not - do for them.

8.    Users/clients who are prepared to participate in early life-cycle
CbyC activities, e.g. walk-throughs of formal specifications in Z.

9.    The right kind of application to deploy it on.

SPARKies please shoot me down if I'm spouting BS,

Olwen