[SystemSafety] Correctness by Construction

Martyn Thomas martyn at 72f.org
Tue Jul 14 12:32:12 CEST 2020

On 14/07/2020 10:54, Michael Jackson wrote:

> Second, some comments on the definitions:
>
> (a)  These definitions all concern execution of the code that will run on the processor hardware in system operation. (Comments accompanying some definitions also emphasise the critical role of correctness of the compiler, configuration and correctness of other development tools, and correctness of the processor hardware with respect to the hardware execution semantics,

Michael

My reply to your question was "90% fewer defects in delivered
software-based systems than you are probably  achieving currently". I
chose my words carefully to go far beyond code execution. Requirements
and specification issues are in scope and, to the best of my knowledge,
they are included as formally as is reasonably practicable in the CbyC
methods that Altran UK uses. The other issues that you address are also
unlikely to be overlooked by any company that is professional enough to
be following CbyC principles.

I agree with the great importance of the issues that you raise but your
way of raising them misrepresents the reply that I gave you.

Regards

Martyn