[SystemSafety] Correctness by Construction

Peter Bishop pgb at adelard.com
Wed Jul 15 11:49:12 CEST 2020

On 14/07/2020 10:54, Michael Jackson wrote:
> (e)  'Software-based' systems in general, and cyber-physical systems in particular, are bipartite. One part is the software itself, executed solely by the processor hardware; the other part is the governed physical 'problem world' outside the computer. If Correctness by Construction is applied only to the software itself, it can achieve only a limited reduction of system defects.
>
> (f)  In a cyber-physical system the core development product is the behaviour of the whole system, emerging from the interaction of both of its parts. Development is indeed a programming task, but it is programming the whole system, not just the software part. The heterogeneous nature of the system---quasi-formal software joined with the non-formal problem world---poses a real difficulty. But erecting a logical firewall between the two parts and treating them in effective isolation is not a perfect solution.

That is my view as well.

The "correctness" achieved by CbyC  does not guarantee that the
requirements assigned to the software will address the real world problem.

-- Peter

--

Peter Bishop
Chief Scientist

Email: pgb at adelard.com
Tel:  +44-(0)20-7832 5850

Registered office: 5th Floor, Ashford Commercial Quarter, 1 Dover Place, Ashford, Kent TN23 1FB
Registered in England & Wales no. OC 304551. VAT no. 454 489808

This e-mail, and any attachments, is confidential and for the use of
the addressee only. If you are not the intended recipient, please
telephone 020 7832 5850. We do not accept legal responsibility for
this e-mail or any viruses.