[SystemSafety] Correctness by Construction

Steve Tockey steve.tockey at construx.com
Tue Jul 14 19:16:36 CEST 2020

Paul E. Bennett wrote:

³Add to that, keeping tabs on suitable hardware to run those tools specific
to a particular incarnation of the real system, maybe even mothballing
some hardware for the purpose of going back to run a very old version
that might only run under a no longer maintained tool-set. That would be
truly draconian.²

I have been led to believe by trusted insiders that at least one avionics
vendor does exactly that for their DO-178C Level A software. To be able to
reconstruct exact bit-wise replicas of any version of the code ever
released to production, they not only archive the code, they archive the
entire tool chain along with sufficient hardware to be able to run that
tool chain. The avionics vendor in question is said to be sitting on a
veritable museum of antique computing hardware.