[SystemSafety] Correctness by Construction

paul_e.bennett at topmail.co.uk paul_e.bennett at topmail.co.uk
Tue Jul 14 12:52:42 CEST 2020

On 7/14/2020 at 10:16 AM, "Olwen Morgan" <olwen at phaedsys.com> wrote:

>On 13/07/2020 20:01, Michael Holloway wrote:
>>
>> How does /draconian/ configuration management differ from
>>normal, sensible configuration management such as what is required by
>>(for example) DO-178C>
>> *
>> *
>*It doesn't.*
>
>*I'm merely pointing out that, by common standards of practice, it
>has to be *very* disciplined. All CM processes I've seen control the
>artefacts produced in the process. The only one I've ever seen
>that controls the tools is the Altran-Praxis CM process that they used
>for iFacts, among other projects. When, as I have done for the best
>part of three decades, I've proposed to clients that they should control
>tools as well as artefacts, all but those you could count on a mutilated
>hand have actually balked at the idea.*
>
>*
>
>*Olwen*

Add to that, keeping tabs on suitable hardware to run those tools specific
to a particular incarnation of the real system, maybe even mothballing
some hardware for the purpose of going back to run a very old version
that might only run under a no longer maintained tool-set. That would be
truly draconian.

Regards

Paul E. Bennett IEng MIET
Systems Engineer
Lunar Mission One Ambassador
Paul E. Bennett IEng MIET.....
Forth based HIDECS Consultancy.............
Mob: +44 (0)7811-639972
Tel: Due to relocation - new number TBA. Please use Mobile.