[SystemSafety] Accuracy of COVID modeling code

Derek M Jones derek at knosof.co.uk
Wed May 6 20:09:21 CEST 2020

Robert,

> Most commercial languages to not enforce typiing strongly because, I believe, you can get a bad program that
> compiles and runs into production quicker than taking the time to test a program into correctness.

Very true.

Unfortunately all the experimental evidence shows that the impact is
smaller than the variation between programmers and learning effects:
https://shape-of-code.coding-guidelines.com/2014/08/27/evidence-for-the-benefits-of-strong-typing-where-is-it/

> Non-strongly typed languages avoid type enforcement tests that would, in consequence, take time to fix when compared to
> strongly typed languages. I blame capitalism.

In terms of differences between what you get for 'free', there is little
difference between languages.

So called strongly typed languages provide functionality that developers
have to use to create contexts where checks can be made.

Compare C++ and Ada:
https://shape-of-code.coding-guidelines.com/2014/04/17/c-vs-ada-which-language-is-more-strongly-typed/