[SystemSafety] NHS COVID-19 Contact Tracing App

Bruce Hunter brucer.hunter at gmail.com
Mon May 11 05:44:03 CEST 2020

 A bit more on the Australian status of contact tracing app COVIDsafe that
may be useful in this discussion.

Jeremy Rosen
> It should in fact be an additional tool in the contact tracing arsenal.

The Australian Department of Health considers COVIDsafe as an additional
tool to assist the manual tracking and an important part of taking measured
steps in the 3 stage restriction easing that has started this week. As of
the 10th of May Australia has a growth rate of 1.08 with 14 cases reported
out of 6,941 daily tests conducted (average 21 cases per day in past 7
days).

> It won't get every contact but will certainly get some.

There still is some issues on reliability of app on Iphone where it does
drop out and interferes with other Bluetooth apps. *This could increase
false-negative rates.*
Bluetooth contact , obviously, is not the same as transmission of the
virus. COVIDsafe will only log a contact if over 15 minutes (I assume this
is epidemiologically appropriate) but Bluetooth range is much larger that
the 1.5 metre social distancing which the government gives as the app
contact distance. Bluetooth specifications for minimum range (east
transmitter power of -20dBm and lowest sensitivity reception of -85dBm) is
2 to 4 metres outdoors but up to 15  metres indoors and through walls. *This
would increase the false-positive-rates. *It seems the app uses the default
Bluetooth configuration which would increase this rage further. Even with
these issues it may still be a benefit in addition to manual tracking