[SystemSafety] "FAA chief '100% confident' of 737 MAX safety as flights to resume"

Michael Holloway cmh at alumni.virginia.edu
Fri Nov 20 14:26:49 CET 2020

I'm with Tom on this one.  Some of the posts here have been rather
embarrassing.  As those who know me already know, I am not inclined to
defend FAA management. In fact, I criticize them often, sometimes even in
my official capacity*.   They often do and say dumb things, and pressure
their employees to do the same.  But the criticism here is ridiculous.

First, it is pedantry of an extreme sort to think that "100% confident"
means anything more than "as confident as it is possible for me to be."

Second, it is irresponsible moralizing to claim that making such a
statement is irresponsible, inappropriate, technically indefensible,
misleading, or any of the other bad things attributed to it.  If the
statement had been written in a technical paper, without any qualifiers
explaining "100% confident" was being used in the colloquial sense, then
criticism would be warranted. It wasn't.

Third, everything Tom wrote about the level of scrutiny the plane has
undergone is correct.  I'm as wary a flier as nearly anyone on the planet.
If I had to fly somewhere, I would not hesitate for a second (note, this
phrase is used in its well-known idiomatic sense, and not as a technical
statement of a bound on the length of my hesitation) to fly on a 737 MAX
flown by a US carrier.

*--cMh*

*Lest anyone think otherwise, I am not writing this message in any official
capacity, and the opinions expressed in it are attributable to me alone.

mercy > judgment
love > faith & hope
grace > law