[SystemSafety] "FAA chief '100% confident' of 737 MAX safety as flights to resume"

Peter Bernard Ladkin ladkin at causalis.com
Fri Nov 20 14:44:10 CET 2020

On 2020-11-20 14:26 , Michael Holloway wrote:
>  the criticism here is ridiculous.

Thanks, Mike. Might you have a technical, rather than an emotional, reaction to share?

> First, it is pedantry of an extreme sort to think that "100% confident" means anything more
> than "as
> confident as it is possible for me to be."

So you are suggesting that he is at least as confident that he won't die, flying in a MAX, as he is
that 2+2=4 ? Or should that confidence be relativised somehow?

> Third, everything Tom wrote about the level of scrutiny the plane has undergone is correct.

Yes. And that the defined procedures are not enough has been pointed out twice in reports.

After Ermenonville, the DC-10 became "the most scrutinized [sic] aircraft in the history of the
commercial transport fleet." Then came Sioux City. Along with nobody noticing that you could lose
structural integrity if you lost pressure in one half of the PV (which led to Ermenonville through a
couple of other occurrences), nobody apparently noticed that they had routed all the control system
hydraulics through one spot in the tail, which was duly sliced through by a shed blade. Many put
that down to the overall design process of the airplane and worried about other oversights. Which
ended up being, some say, why the DC-10 fleet converted to freighters, followed quite quickly by the
MD-11.

PBL

Prof. Peter Bernard Ladkin, Bielefeld, Germany
ClaireTheWhiteRabbit RIP