[SystemSafety] System Safety Graduate Program Recommendations

Peter Bernard Ladkin ladkin at causalis.com
Thu Oct 22 21:16:33 CEST 2020

Ben,

On 2020-10-22 17:48 , Ben Quigley wrote:

> I'm ready to take the plunge and enroll in a graduate program that will further my career
> goals and benefit my company.

Good!

> I was surprised to find relatively few options (none in the US as far as I can tell.

Yes, that is unfortunately the case.

I have been involved for over twenty years in trying to establish such options. There are courses
here, and courses there, but few coherent packages.

One such package, for professional engineers, is offered by TÜV Rheinland. This offers qualification
as a functional safety engineer. It is heavily based on understanding IEC 61508 which, for many
reasons, is a very limited domain (disclosure: I am on the IEC Maintenance Teams for IEC 61508 and
have lost my confidence in them).

The only reputable academic full courses of study I know are offered by the University of York. You
can do an MSc in Safety Critical Systems Engineering. You can do a PGCert in System Safety Engineering.

I imagine, with the current necessity of going mostly virtual due to Covid-19, that it may well be
possible to complete either course of study remotely or largely remotely. Of course you will have to
ask the course convenors about that.

Do check it out!

You are welcome to get back to me privately to inquire about other options, or obstacles.

PBL

Prof. Peter Bernard Ladkin, Bielefeld, Germany
ClaireTheWhiteRabbit RIP