[SystemSafety] What do we know about software reliability?

Peter Bishop pgb at adelard.com
Mon Sep 14 17:20:31 CEST 2020

On 14/09/2020 15:36, Derek M Jones wrote:
> Martyn,
>
>> How do you then get from the number of fatal defects to a reliability?
>
> You don't.
>
> What it says on the can is an estimate of a particular kind of
> failure.

You might however be able to link it to expected long-term losses if you
include bug fixing after incidents

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/299690777_Does_Software_Have_to_Be_Ultra_Reliable_in_Safety_Critical_Systems

Key parameters are

- number of dangerous defects
- probability a fault is fixed after an incident
- probability of an accident after each incident

Peter

>> On 14/09/2020 14:46, Derek M Jones wrote:
>>> Fuzzing appears to be a practical technique for gathering the data
>>> needed to
>>> estimate likely number of mistakes that will cause a system crash.
>>> Practical
>>> in that a few months of cpu time is quite cheap these days.

Peter Bishop
Chief Scientist
Adelard LLP
24 Waterside, 44-48 Wharf Road, London N1 7UX

Email: pgb at adelard.com
Tel:  +44-(0)20-7832 5850

Registered office: 5th Floor, Ashford Commercial Quarter, 1 Dover Place, Ashford, Kent TN23 1FB
Registered in England & Wales no. OC 304551. VAT no. 454 489808

This e-mail, and any attachments, is confidential and for the use of
the addressee only. If you are not the intended recipient, please
telephone 020 7832 5850. We do not accept legal responsibility for
this e-mail or any viruses.