[SystemSafety] Miss vs Ms

Bruce Hunter brucer.hunter at gmail.com
Tue Apr 13 02:02:16 CEST 2021

Back in February 1996 there was a Tail-strike incident on Air Canada
combined passenger and freight flight 899. Luckily there were no injuries
as a result of the incident and only scraping and minor buckling to the
fuselage.  It does show the importance of getting weight and balance
correct.

The interesting thing was that this was indirectly a result of updated
software errors in an update to the off-board load balancing computer on a
PC (ALPAC). Great lesson that dangerous software failures may not just
occur on integrated systems but on separate ancillary equipment as well.
You really need to check whether safety functions are dependent on external
systems reliability as well (e.g.  safety-related information,
functionality dependent on subscription currency, authentical key
expiration etc.)

Full report is still available
https://bst.gc.ca/eng/rapports-reports/aviation/1996/a96o0030/a96o0030.html

Bruce Hunter