[SystemSafety] Miss vs Ms

Peter Bernard Ladkin ladkin at causalis.com
Tue Apr 13 09:11:23 CEST 2021

On 2021-04-13 02:02 , Bruce Hunter wrote:

> The interesting thing was that this was indirectly a result of updated software errors in an update
> to the off-board load balancing computer on a PC (ALPAC). Great lesson that dangerous software
> failures may not just occur on integrated systems but on separate ancillary equipment as well. You
> really need to check whether safety functions are dependent on external
systems reliability as well
You sure do.

W&B calculations on commercial aircraft are an example of a critical process in which data and their
accuracy are key. Not only is the SCSC Data Safety Guidance relevant, but
so are other routine
cross-checks well known in computer science.

After an Emirates A340 narrowly avoided becoming a horrendous accident on
takeoff from Melbourne in
2009, Bernd Sieker and I wrote a short note explaining how such data safety procedures, input and
processing, could be improved. (It seems we sent it to HESSD, but I am not sure HESSD was held that
year.)

A decade on, trivial design/programming errors are apparently still making it into such
safety-related software.

PBL

Prof. Peter Bernard Ladkin, Bielefeld, Germany
ClaireTheWhiteRabbit RIP