[SystemSafety] Miss vs Ms

Nick Tudor njt at tudorassoc.com
Tue Apr 13 10:54:11 CEST 2021

Memory is a little fuzzy and no doubt others may have better. There was an
unauthorised use of a spreadsheet to do v1/v2 calculations for an E3 AWACS
aircraft some many years ago   I believe that there was an issue with the
V1 speed as rotation at too low a speed meant that V2 couldn’t be reached.
It ran out of runway.

On Tue, 13 Apr 2021 at 08:11, Peter Bernard Ladkin <ladkin at causalis.com>
wrote:

> On 2021-04-13 02:02 , Bruce Hunter wrote:
> >
> > The interesting thing was that this was indirectly a result of updated
> software errors in an update
> > to the off-board load balancing computer on a PC (ALPAC). Great lesson
> that dangerous software
> > failures may not just occur on integrated systems but on separate
> ancillary equipment as well. You
> > really need to check whether safety functions are dependent on external
> systems reliability as well
> You sure do.
>
> W&B calculations on commercial aircraft are an example of a critical
> process in which data and their
> accuracy are key. Not only is the SCSC Data Safety Guidance relevant, but
> so are other routine
> cross-checks well known in computer science.
>
> After an Emirates A340 narrowly avoided becoming a horrendous accident on
> takeoff from Melbourne in
> 2009, Bernd Sieker and I wrote a short note explaining how such data
> safety procedures, input and
> processing, could be improved. (It seems we sent it to HESSD, but I am not
> sure HESSD was held that
> year.)
>
> A decade on, trivial design/programming errors are apparently still making
> it into such
> safety-related software.
>
> PBL
>
> Prof. Peter Bernard Ladkin, Bielefeld, Germany
> ClaireTheWhiteRabbit RIP
> Tel+msg +49 (0)521 880 7319  www.rvs-bi.de

Nick Tudor
Tudor Associates Ltd