[SystemSafety] Examples of Emergent Safety-Related Properties

Dewi Daniels dewi.daniels at software-safety.com
Fri Apr 8 13:04:10 CEST 2022

Peter,

I can think of two examples, one of which is only vaguely safety related.

The first example is that in the UK, goods vehicles are required to be
fitted with Road Speed Limiters (RSLs) limiting them to 60 mph. This has
resulted in some good vehicles taking an exceptionally long time to pass
each other on motorways. I had an illuminating conversation with a taxi
driver who had experience of driving good vehicles. He explained that many
customers (supermarkets are particularly guilty of this) specify a
30-minute time slot during which the delivery must be made.  If delivery is
attempted outside of this 30-minute time slot, the delivery is rejected.
He explained that if a goods vehicle has been held up in traffic and the
satellite navigation device predicts that the delivery could be late, the
driver is strongly motivated to overtake a slower goods vehicle, even if
the difference is only 1 mph. This is an unanticipated consequence of goods
vehicles being fitted with Road Speed Limiters and customers requiring
deliveries to be made within a fixed time slot.

The second example is the Spanish train accident at Santiago de Compostela
in 2013. The driver was used to operating on tracks where the signalling
system prevented the train from exceeding the speed limit. He had got into
the habit of leaving the throttle in its maximum position and letting the
signalling system control the speed. The stretch of track on which the
accident occurred did not have such a signalling system fitted. The driver
entered a curve at full throttle, resulting in a derailment. 79 people were
killed. This is an unanticipated consequence of a signalling system
preventing the train from exceeding the speed limit.

Yours,

Dewi Daniels | Director | Software Safety Limited

Telephone +44 7968 837742 | Email d <ddaniels at verocel.com>
ewi.daniels at software-safety.com

Software Safety Limited is a company registered in England and Wales.
Company number: 9390590. Registered office: Fairfield, 30F Bratton Road,
West Ashton, Trowbridge, United Kingdom BA14 6AZ