[SystemSafety] Additional Business Risk of Safety-Related Systems

Peter Bernard Ladkin ladkin at causalis.com
Mon Apr 25 12:01:08 CEST 2022

Folks,

I am working on some guidance material through the IET on safer complex systems. It came to a
question as to what distinguishes the management layer (that is, activities) during development from
management of a non-safety-related complex software system. I came to the following line of
reasoning. Is it right? Helpful?

[begin reasoning]

The business risk to a developer of a complex software-based system consists inter alia in whether
the system is built and delivered to the satisfaction of the client.
Such business risk is largely settled by formal acceptance of the system by the client, on the basis
of acceptance testing. Of course, a supplier can (and usually does, if the system is bespoke and
complex) continue to work on the system beyond acceptance, but this is often nominally classified as
"maintenance" and enhancement. Once the system is accepted by the client, any business risk
associated with development vanishes.

Business risk is assessed and controlled by the developer's internal audit, and guidance in best
practice for internal audit is to be found on the WWW site of the Chartered Institute of Internal
Auditors
https://www.iia.org.uk/resources/delivering-internal-audit/position-paper-independence-and-objectivity/
. Inter alia it recommends that an Audit Committee also includes members of the company's board of
directors.

However, building and supplying safety-related systems involves a business risk over and above this,
in that, if a harmful event occurs anytime in system operation, some (or all) of the responsibility
for that event may be deemed to lie with the system developer, regardless of the acceptance tests
agreed and performed between customer and supplier. For example, if people die, the members of the
board of the supplier may be criminally charged with corporate manslaughter. The possibility of such
an event is an additional business risk.

This suggests that internal audit of safety-related system development must also ensure that
appropriate practices have been followed to reduce the (technical) risk of system operation to be as
low as reasonably practical (the ALARP legal condition in common law domains).

[Here we must note parenthetically that technical/system risk and business risk are two entirely
different concepts. The IEC is currently grappling with all these different notions of risk. I
identified 5 in common use in a talk I gave in September to the SCSC].

Since IEC 61508 has been available (1997 onwards), I understand the UK HSE has taken adherence to
its precepts as the touchstone for whether (and how) to prosecute a supplier for the various forms
of criminal negligence recognised in common law. So internal audit will also adjudge whether IEC
61508 has been effectively followed during system development, and this activity may well proceed
beyond initial system delivery, in particular in cases in which system use may be different from
that initially envisaged and a need arises to ensure that this differential use is also adequately
assured by the development.

[end reasoning]

PBL

Prof. i.R. Dr. Peter Bernard Ladkin, Bielefeld, Germany