[SystemSafety] State of Things

M Mencke menckem at gmail.com
Fri Dec 9 13:13:27 CET 2022

Hi all,

I would be in favour of keeping the list open, here, or hosted elsewhere,
particularly if there is no similar list anywhere else that we can join.

It seems to me that one of the reasons the list has been barely used is
because there was some confusion regarding whether or not it was actually
active, and there were some technical issues with the list due to emails
getting bounced and similar. So it may not have been that the members did
not want to write.

In 2011/12 I was one of the newer members on this list. During what were
for me those "early" years, I learned quite a bit from it. A considerable
amount of knowledge and perspectives were exchanged then, if I remember
correctly. I would encourage continuing the list somewhere so that others
can continue to learn from the knowledge of the earlier members in the
group.

10 years or so ago, I attended a conference in Bielefeld. I believe I was
one of the younger attendees. There were a bunch of extremely talented,
highly intelligent and articulate individuals there. Some of them are on
this list. Surely there are many talented people on this list who are
capable of construing a valid argument. I would worry that if this list is
shut down, a forum for discussion and learning is removed.

Yes, there were some unpleasant arguments and some marketing tactics
(though not that many of those, if I'm not mistaken), but surely we could
also construct some good arguments and learn from others.

I am not even working in Safety anymore, but I just wanted to send this
email to say I do consider that this list has some value as a resource for
those in the Safety field, at least it did for me.

Regards,

Myriam Mencke.