[SystemSafety] AI in self-driving cars? What are they thinking?

Les Chambers les at chambers.com.au
Thu Feb 10 04:56:52 CET 2022

Michael

Thanks for the penguin fact check. My source was Joe Simpson, This Game of Ghosts (p 109)
Joe was reflecting on the deadly experimental aspects of mounting climbing while descending Les Courtes a mountain located in the French side of the Mont Blanc massif.
‘I didn’t like being the experimental penguin; I wish that I was doing the pushing.”

Joe provides a rich source of safety related metaphors in his many books on mountaineering. The most famous one of course being “Touching the Void“.
His reflections on death are particularly relevant to our profession.

I’m constantly on the lookout for stories and metaphors that can be deployed to convince non engineers of the importance of safety related initiatives. All of us are programmed to receive information in story form. The notion that my penguin tale may not be factual is irrelevant. Ask any professional storyteller and they’ll tell you, “Most  stories didn’t happen, they’re just true.“

Here is another example from Joe:

QUOTE
Climbing prepares one for death, leads one towards the edge of another world into which one can look without fear
…
Far from being separate from life, Reid [philosopher Thomas Reid] believes that death is really a smooth continuation from life, and for this reason the mountaineer can move easily to the edges of each world. In doing so he can discover the true beauty of life through having experienced the essential nature of death.
…
These clever theories about death have a strong taste of truth about them when contemplated at a comfortable distance. When compared with the reality of enraged grief taking place before you, they become no more than silly notions, wordplay, and climbing is once again reduced to the status of a mugs game.
UNQUOTE

The potential of AI may have a strong taste of truth about it when contemplated from a comfortable distance (by computer scientists). But viewed through the eyes of an auto crash victim’s family (in enraged grief) it will seem like useless tech-speak, the ultimate mugs game.
Les